Saturday, August 25, 2012

Murals and More

So I have always wanted to paint either a mural, french scenic style, or wallpaper, chinoiserie!  I am motivated right now to try this so here I go.  I am leaning toward painting the wallpaper, rather than  mural right on the wall,  which would push me to work our the design on tracing paper first.  I would love to also paint onto tea paper, but that would require additional steps and research, and I am anxious to get painting!  So, to get inspired.....

I have always loved this trompe l'oel powder room, from the book "Villa Decor" Decidedly French and Italian Style, by Betty Lou Phillips.  It was painted by Gillian Bradshaw-Smith, an amazing artist who has worked for many interior designers.





I really thought about painting something like this, but a friend is lending me her powder room to paint,  I want to make sure it works for her.  It is an amazing powder room, the floor and ceiling all painted as well.


Then there is chinoisererie, so very much blogged about and written about lately, there is no shortage of inspiration to pull from. \ Michael Smith uses a lot of deGournay wallpaper, I love his use of color.








I also really love panoramic, the french scenic is always beautiful.




It might be a little easier to start with a couple of reproduction panels, rather than tackling an entire powder room.  I also definitely have a place for two panels to go in my house, flanking a mirror.  



Walls, by Florence De Dampierre


I also think grisaille is really nice, and might be a good option as the colors are more limited, so maybe a good way to start a large project.  


Walls, by Florence De Dampierre

The colors really are soft and perfect for the design.  However, there is just something about more color, or at least a color story.




I think something like this is what I really had in mind, with the colors and the design.







So I am ordering blank paper, supplies tommorow.  I will try to post work in progress if it looks good.  I am diving in.  Yikes.





No comments:

Post a Comment