Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Murals and wallpaper

I have always loved murals and wallpaper, chinoiserie, etc. I love murals that tell a story, and especially incorporate animals.  (Of course.)  This type of scenic, storytelling wall paper or murals has been dated as far back as the tombs of the Egyptians and Etruscans.


The ever classic Zuber wall paper, which is always beautiful, can be seen in the White House.
Zuber wallpaper was apparently on the walls in a Federal period house in Maryland.  The house was torn down in 1961, and the wallpaper preserved and installed in the white house. The company was started by Jean Zuber, Zuber Cie has maintained its headquarters at Rixheim, France.








Tioles and grisaile versions of scenes and stories are beautiful as well.  In fact the Brunschwig and Fils wallpaper and fabric, "bunny business" was in my son's room for years.  I kind of miss it.  (He's older now), and his walls are now red. (Sigh.)





One of my very favorite murals, is in the book "influential styles",  by Judith Miller, ( photographs by Simon Upton).  The chapter "Stories on Walls", show a gorgeous home, (NewYork home of Juan Pablo Molyneux).  The wallpaper panels incorporates the family pets. (You can see the mastif above the two statues.)  I love this concept, perhaps I may have to do something like that in my own home one day..................







Another view shows a pair of scottie dogs above the elephants.  The other animals add a lot of fantasy and an exotic feel to it.  






This mural has a nice painting of the outside of the house itself, which is another concept I love.  (Bottom right.)  The other views also show other beautiful wall paintings as well!



In further feeding my obsession with cinoiserie, and de gournay, always exquisite, I will definitely be painting something soon.........I will share when complete.  (Photo below form "Live, Love, Space").





No comments:

Post a Comment