Thursday, July 19, 2012

Picasso and Lump

Hello!  I am a new blogger.  I am having a designer work on my look, she can't get to it until August, but I got anxious, so I did a funky little drawing for the header, and started typing.  It will look much better soon!

I love interior design, however by trade I am a painter, mostly portraits, and I really love painting dogs.  They have such expression and soul.  I love the thought of blending the two- great interior design with our beloved canine companions.  Perhaps it's  more of a "balance" rather than blend, but takes some thought to incorporate great interior design with regard to pets.

One of my favorite books is "Living with Dogs" by Carol Sheehan, which exemplifies in part many of the things I love about, well, "living with dogs".  Dogs will always be part of my life.  They are such a joy to live with.  Currently I have two dashies, whom I love.



I love the collections presented in the book, especially the antique dog bowls. 



My main topic today is another of my favorite books, "Picasso and Lump", by David Douglas Duncan.

The book portrays the endearing relationship of the artist with his pet dachshund, Lump.  I love the name lump.  Lump and Jacqueline, (his second wife) were the only ones allowed into his studio to watch the artist work. Lump was often in his paintings and art.



Such a sweet story, and a connection so understood by us animal  lovers that I wanted to include the story.  Both Picasso and Lump died in April, 1973, one week apart.

This is the end of my first post!  I look forward to hearing your insight, ideas and discussions regarding dogs in art and interior design, going forward.  Have a great Thursday!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary!! Congrats on getting your first step out the door! I will be sure to share your blog with my readers when I do your guest post. So far so good and so agree about your sentiments with dogs..truly the best friends of all!
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete